Sunday, July 17, 2011

Diversion 2.0 Thirty Day Song Challenge -- Day 30: A Song That Describes You

After a cavalcade of posts on music, we’ve come to the end of the Diversion 2.0 Thirty Day Song Challenge (not entirely done in thirty days, but life happens, and since I’m paid to work and not to write this blog, one has to recognize one’s priorities). Out of all of the posts, this one has given me the most trouble; I have the narcissistic gall to consider myself a fairly unique mofo, and tracking down a song I could point at and say, “This is me” was difficult indeed. To finally decide, I did what I usually do when faced with a challenge: I made a hasty decision based on a convenient series of pre-existing lists (Class registration? Done. Wedding present purchasing? Boom. Which game should I rent this weekend? Cha-ching).

Queen – “I Want It All”

I first heard this song during “Paper From Hell,” a short film directed by my friend Brian Browitt and written by this guy. As the story goes, Greg was looking for what he called an “epic-sounding” song for a certain sequence in the movie, and our friend Stu was gracious enough to point him in the direction of this lesser-know-but-not-that-much-lesser gem from Queen.

How does it relate to me? Dear readers, I want to do everything. In school I studied computers, English writing, and theater. My personal blog covers movies, music, gaming, and several other topics. I constantly try to juggle my lives in Bozeman (where I live currently) and Helena (where most of my friends live (or did until recently)). I want it all. It’s because of this all-consuming desire that I don’t play MMOs, Bethesda games, or the Grand Theft Auto series: I can’t deal with too much optional content, or I’ll become overwhelmed at the choices and fail to accomplish anything significant. I want it all.

Aside from a few piddly personal reasons, “I Want It All” is a pretty catchy tune. It demonstrates several of Queen’s best aspects, including their shred-tastic guitar gymnastics, dynamic and catchy melodies, and a knack for nailing the springy, optimistic feelings often evoked by 80’s rock.

Welp, that’s it for the Diversion 2.0 Thirty Day Song Challenge! It may have taken slightly longer than the advertised timeline (I was doing well for a while!), but we finally finished. Stay tuned for another series (this one coming sooner than you might think), as well as Our Feature Presentation and other sundries associated with Diversion 2.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment